Saturday, May 12, 2012

fancy pasta, garlic and greens

Elias often tells me that you should not compliment your own food but I don't quite get it. If it's good, why wouldn't you say it? Annona, who started cooking and baking in the last months (thanks to relaxed Reno lifestyle and to Gwyneth) would agree with me I am sure.... I guess it is an Arabic etiquette rule :) Two weeks ago, Jojo came over for supper and I made this and I had to share it here because it is SOOOOOOO godd. We have had it twice since. It is super easy to make and so tasteful. For more details, check on smittenkitchen.com 1 pound pasta, whatever shape you like (but chunky ones will match up better with the rabe)
1 pound broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed, remaining stems and leaves cut into 1- to 2-inch sections (I attempt to match my pasta in length)
1/2 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more or less to taste
About 1 heaping teaspoon Kosher salt (or more to taste) To serve: Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese Bring a huge pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and five minutes before its cooking time is up, add the broccoli rabe. It will seem like too much for the water, but with a stir or two, the rabe should wilt and cook alongside the pasta. Drain rabe and pasta together and pour into serving bowl. In the same pot or a tiny one, heat the olive oil with the garlic, pepper flakes and Kosher salt over moderate heat, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the garlic becomes lightly golden. Pour mixture over pasta and toss to evenly coat. Shower with freshly grated cheese and eat at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment